Windows Media Player or WMP is a default media player for Windows PC and laptops to stream locally stored video and audio files. You can also use this multimedia software to burn CDs. It comes pre-installed on most Windows PC and thus the users can play music or video instantly. WMP supports a wide range of video formats and thus you can watch almost any media file. It supports creating a customized playlist of music on the local folder. With the help of the Chrome browser on your Windows PC, you can transfer the media content you are playing on Windows Media Player to Chromecast-connected TVs.
Note: The following guide is also applicable for TVs that have built-in Chromecast support.
How to Add Windows Media Player to your PC/Laptop
If you haven’t installed Windows Media Player on your Windows 10 laptop or PC, you can install it easily from your settings page.
(1) On the Settings screen, tap the Apps section menu.
(2) Under the Apps & Features section, tap the menu labeled Optional features.
(3) Click Add a feature to add Windows Media Player on your PC or laptop.
(4) Scroll down the list until you find Windows Media Player, select the app, and click Install to download it.
Related: How to Chromecast DivX Player to TV [Easy Guide]
How to Cast Windows Media Player from PC to Chromecast?
(1) Connect your Chromecast to the HDMI port of your TV and ensure that it was connected to the WI-Fi network where your PC or laptop was connected.
(2) Launch the Chrome browser on your Windows device and right-click anywhere on the browser screen.
(3) Select the Cast menu to find all the nearby wireless devices.
(4) Tap the drop-down icon located next to the Sources menu and select Cast Desktop.
(5) Now, select your Chromecast device name.
(6) A preview message will appear on the screen. Select the preview screen and click the Share menu.
(7) With your Windows screen mirrored on the Chromecast TV screen, launch the Windows Media Player and play a video or audio that you want.
(8) The selected media will play on both Windows and TV screens.
(9) If you want to stop the connection, click the cast extension and select your Chromecast device.
By using the above methods, you can cast Windows Media Player to your Chromecast-connected TV. You can easily play local videos on your TV using this method.
Related: How to Chromecast VLC Media Player to TV.
Windows Media Player is not a compatible Chromecast app but you can still cast it using the Chrome browser on your PC. Follow the steps above to cast local videos using Windows Media Player.
As mentioned earlier, you can follow the steps above to cast from Windows Media Player to your TV. As of now, the above is the only solution to cast it.
You can use Windows Media Player or any other video player to stream your video on your computer and start casting it to TV using the Chrome browser.
No. WMP is compatible with Windows PC and isn’t available for other platforms.
It may be because you have connected your PC and Chromecast TV to a different WIFI.
Yes. The procedure is the same as discussed in the above section. You can install, set up, and cast any media from Windows 10 PC to your Chromecast TV.
It is vital to connect your Chromecast TV and PC to the same WIFI.