Without an internet connection, you can’t use the Chromecast for casting and streaming purposes. An active internet connection is always needed for Chromecast. When you set up the Chromecast for the first time, you will connect the device to a WiFi network. Chromecast will think that the WiFi network is your Home network and will connect automatically to the WiFi network. When you changed your WiFi network password or username, you need to connect your Chromecast to the new WiFi network manually.
As the Chromecast is a portable device, there may be situations that you need to connect the device to a different WiFi network. If that’s the case, follow this guide to connect your Chromecast device to a new WiFi network.
Procedure to Connect Chromecast to New WiFi
(2) Then, connect your smartphone (Android or iOS) to the same WiFi network as the Chromecast Home network.
(3) Open the Google Home app
(4) Tap on the Chromecast device under the Connected Devices tab.
(5) Click the Settings icon on the top of the screen.
(6) Now, a list of customizable options will appear. Choose the WiFi option.
(7) A pop-up will appear. Choose the Forget network option.
Note: Choosing Forget network will reset the Chromecast. Then, you need to set up the Chromecast again.
(8) After that, refresh the app. Now, the app will show the Set up 1 device option.
(9) Tap on the Set up 1 device button.
(10) Now, the app will look for that one device.
(11) When your Chromecast is detected, select it and tap on the Next button.
(12) Then, the app will connect to the Chromecast device. Wait until it’s done.
(13) When it is connected, you will get the following screen.
(14) Now, a four-digit code will appear on both your smartphone and Chromecast connected TV. If both the codes are the same, click the Yes button.
(15) Then, the Additional legal terms screen will appear. Click the I agree button to proceed further.
(16) The next screen is Help improve Chromecast screen will appear. You can choose No thanks, or Yes, I’m in option. We suggest you choose the Yes, I’m in option.
(17) Now, all the nearby active WiFi networks will appear. Choose your WiFi network and click Next.
(18) On the next screen, tap on the Enter manually button and enter the WiFi password.
(19) You will get the Connecting to WiFi screen.
(20) When it is connected, you will get the below screen.
(21) Now, choose where the Chromecast is located and choose Next.
(22) If you want to link your Chromecast to your Gmail ID, click Next. If you don’t want to, click the Not Now button.
(23) Then, you will get the Google Assistant screen. Click the Next button.
(24) Then, Link radio services, Link video services, Link Live TV services will appear. Choose the Not now or Next button based on your preferences.
(25) And, when it is done, you will get the All done! screen. Tap on the Continue button.
(26) Now, the Setup complete screen will appear. Click the Continue button and start casting videos from your smartphone.
Change Chromecast WiFi from Computer
If you want to change the Chromecast WiFi from a computer, it needs an Android emulator. Without the Google Home app, you can’t make any changes to the Chromecast. Google Home is not available for PCs. So, you have to use any of the Android emulators like BlueStacks or Nox on your PC. Using the emulator, you can install the Google Home app and then change the Chromecast WiFi.
To change the WiFi network and connect the Chromecast to a new WiFi network requires all the setup steps. That’s a long process. To avoid this, connect the Chromecast to a WiFi network that is in constant use. So, you don’t need to change the WiFi network. If you have any difficulties in the above steps, tell us in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I change the WiFi on my Chromecast first generation?
The steps mentioned above apply to all generations of Chromecast.
2. How do I reset a Chromecast?
Choosing Forget WiFi network will reset the Chromecast. You can also press the only button on the Chromecast for 25 secs to reset the device.