- ESPN is available in the App Store of Apple TV.
- Install ESPN: Open App Store → click the Search bar → Type ESPN → Select ESPN → Click Get → Tap Open.
- AirPlay ESPN App: Install ESPN on iOS → Open → Sign in → Play a video → Tap AirPlay icon → Select Apple TV.
- AirPlay Mac: Open Safari → Visit ESPN website → Log in → Play a video → Go to the menu bar on Mac → Click AirPlay icon → Tap your Apple TV.
Live streaming sports content is no more a cable TV subscription thing. With ESPN, you can stream almost every sports match on your device. It brings you live sports updates, scores, highlights, news, etc. With ESPN, you will stay connected with up-to-the-minute scores. You will never miss anything from cricket, and football, to NBA, NFL, MLB, Tennis, and more.
Upon signing up for an account, you will get personalized alerts for your favorite teams or leagues. While it is a free-to-stream sports app available for many devices, the article is limited to installing ESPN on Apple TV. Upon getting the app, you will instantly find your favorite team or sports scores from the scores tab. Besides streaming thousands of live events and leagues, you shall listen to ESPN podcasts and live Radio.
ESPN Subscription Price
ESPN is a subscription-based sports streaming service, and anyone should get its premium plan to enjoy using its features. Currently, there is no ESPN Plus free trial available. So, you need to get a subscription to stream the ESPN content on Apple TV.
- ESPN+ costs $9.99/month and $99.99/year.
- Besides this, there is a bundle plan, ESPN+ with Disney+ and Hulu, that costs $13.99/month.
Is ESPN on Apple TV
Yes. Just like other platforms, you will find a dedicated ESPN app on Apple App Store. In addition to iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch, ESPN is accessible on tvOS too. Since Apple TV 4th Gen and later has the App Store, installing the app takes a few minutes. So, you need not rely on any other streaming service to watch the ESPN app. However, those with Apple TV 3rd gen and below can AirPlay ESPN from iOS or Mac.
How to Get ESPN on Apple TV
If you want to stream ESPN content on your tvOS, then you shall follow the guidelines on the 4th and 5th generations of Apple TV.
2. Press the Menu button on the tvOS remote, and you will land up on the Home screen.
3. Swipe through the apps section using the remote’s touchpad until you find the App Store icon. Click on it.
4. Use the search bar available on the screen to find the ESPN app.
5. Select the logo of ESPN from the suggestions list.
6. Highlight the Get button to download ESPN on tvOS.
7. On the prompt, click on Buy to confirm downloading ESPN.
8. Wait for the app to complete its downloading process.
9. Once installed, launch the ESPN app on Apple TV.
How to Activate ESPN on Apple TV
You should activate the ESPN app on Apple TV after installing it to unlock hours of entertainment.
1. Launch the ESPN app on your Apple TV.
2. Highlight the Sign In button to log in to your account.
3. Note the ESPN activation code on your TV screen.
4. Now, visit the ESPN activation website (https://www.espn.com/watch/activate) from a browser.
5. Enter the activation code on the field provided and click on the Continue button.
6. If prompted, enter the ESPN Apple TV login details to sign in to your account.
7. Once the code gets activated, you shall refresh ESPN on Apple TV to start watching the live sports.
Alternative Ways – How to Screen Mirror ESPN to Apple TV
Since ESPN is available for iOS as a dedicated app, you can screen mirror it to tvOS with the help of AirPlay. Like that, those using ESPN on Mac can also AirPlay ESPN to tvOS.
Screen Mirror ESPN from iPhone or iPad
It is assumed that you already have the ESPN app installed on iOS 12 or later and have a user account. If not, get it installed from the Apple App Store.
1. Firstly, you need to connect your Apple TV to the WiFi connection as that of your iPhone or iPad.
2. Go to the Apps section and open the ESPN app on iOS.
3. Select a video that you want to screen mirror to tvOS.
4. Tap on the AirPlay icon at the top.
5. Choose the Apple TV name from the available device.
6. When the connection establishes, you will find the ESPN video on tvOS.
AirPlay ESPN from Mac
Make sure to proceed with the steps below after connecting your Apple TV and Mac to the same Wi-Fi connection.
1. Launch the Safari web browser on your Mac PC.
2. Go to the official website of ESPN (https://www.espn.com) using the address bar.
3. Click the Log In button and enter the necessary details to sign in to your ESPN account.
Note: If you don’t have an account, then click Sign Up to create an account.
4. Choose an ESPN video to stream.
5. Now, go to the menu bar of your macOS to click on the AirPlay icon.
6. Select the tvOS name, and the video you have selected will be mirrored onto your Mac.
How to Watch ESPN on Apple TV Without Cable
Apart from installing the ESPN app on tvOS, you can watch the ESPN channel without cable by using the streaming services below.
Hulu + Live TV
It is possible to watch ESPN with Hulu on Apple TV. For this, you need to subscribe to Hulu+Live TV at $69.99/month. Besides this, you shall access 75+ channels that cover sports, news, shows, etc. It offers unlimited DVR, and the recordings can be accessed for up to nine months. It is the best platform for watching award-winning movies and shows.
At $64.99/month, you shall watch ESPN with YouTube TV on Apple TV. There are more than 85 channels available, and it is a better option to watch sports titles. It provides unlimited DVR where the recordings can be accessed for up to nine months. YouTube TV offers a personalized experience as it supports creating up to six profiles.
If you already have Sling TV on Apple TV, you shall experience the best of ESPN in no time. The Sling Orange subscription at $30/month is the cheapest way to watch ESPN live. While the users get 50 hours of cloud DVR, it can be upgraded with 200 hours at $5 extra. With this, you can record and watch lots more without the internet.
With the Entertainment plan of DirecTV Stream on Apple TV, you can watch ESPN. It costs $69.99/month, and you can stream 65+ channels. DirecTV Stream offers unlimited DVR, and you can record content without any limits. The recorded videos will be stored for up to nine months, and it supports pause and rewind live TV features.
If you have ESPN+, then you can stream ESPN on your tvOS. It is one of the sports-centric services that costs $6.99/month or $69.99/year. In addition to streaming live sports, it is the best platform for watching UFC PPVs and documentaries. As you can even live stream and replay the events, it doesn’t include DVR support.
ESPN on Apple TV Not Working: Possible Causes & Fixes
For multiple reasons, ESPN will not work on tvOS, and the section below has covered the possible causes and effective fixes.
- Network or WIFI issue.
- ESPN server outage.
- Expired subscription.
- Outdated app version.
- The firmware is outdated.
- Connecting the Apple TV to an uninterrupted internet connection is the primary need.
- Close and relaunch the ESPN app on your TV.
- In case of a service outage, wait for the issue to get fixed.
- Check if the latest version of the ESPN app is available to update.
- Renew the expired subscription and try loading the app.
- You shall even update Apple TV with the latest version.
Frequently Asked Questions
No. It is a subscription-based service. So, you cannot stream ESPN for free.
You need to visit the activation site of ESPN to activate the app on tvOS
Yes. You can get the ESPN app on tvOS from the App Store.