We all know that Apple TV is another esteemed product from Apple. It is not a TV but a setup box or a streaming device. You don’t have to use an iPhone, but you need an iTunes account to activate the device. You can enjoy mostly all the different streaming services on your device. The most popular ones are Netflix, YouTube, HBO, Hulu, Disney, CNBC, etc. So in this article, we are going to discuss various methods to turn off Apple TV.
Turn Off Apple TV
You cannot Turn off Apple TV as there isn’t any power button. So the only option left is Sleep Mode. All Apple TV will automatically go to Sleep mode after being dormant for like 10-20 minutes. But still, for those who wanted to do it manually, here are the ways.
- Using Remote
- Using Settings
- Auto-sleep Settings
- Using an iPhone or iPad
- From the Power Source
Turn off Apple TV: Using Remote
- For Apple TV 3rd Gen or older models, all you have to do is hold the Play or Pause button. The TV will go to sleep mode.
- For the latest models, hold the Home button on your Apple TV remote for at least 3 seconds or until the menu options pop out on your TV screen. From the menu options, choose Sleep. You can turn on the device by pressing any button on your remote.
Turn off Apple TV: Using Settings
- On your home screen, you can find the Settings option with a gear icon. Open the Settings by using the remote. Scroll down and locate the Sleep Now option. And click on the option for your device to sleep.
Turn off Apple TV: Sleep After Settings
- From your home screen, go to Settings. Then choose the General option. Scroll down to find the Sleep After option. Now choose the time in which your device will go to sleep after being inactive.
- The options will be Never, 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 5 hours, and 10 hours. Choose your choice. Remember, if you choose Never, the device will never go to sleep automatically.
Turn off Apple TV: Using an iPhone or iPad
- On your iPhone or iPad, get to the Control Centre.
- Tap the Apple TV Remote icon.
- Choose your Apple TV from the list of devices.
- Enter the four-digit code for verification.
- Now, tap and hold the Home button on the remote layout to open the Sleep screen.
- Choose the Sleep option.
You can use this method to turn off your Apple TV without using the remote.
Turn off Apple TV: Unplug Power Source
If you don’t want your device to run in the background, all you have to do is unplug it from the power source and also from the TV. This will turn off the device completely.
Among all the methods mentioned here, you can turn off Apple TV without a remote with only two options. You can either use the Sleep After settings or your iOS device.
How Sleep Mode works on Apple TV
- When Apple TV in Sleep mode, it does consume electricity but only a bit.
- The device will still run in the background and carry on any pending downloads.
- It can run automatic updates in the background.
- It will not create any sound for notifications.
Finally, in order to wake it up, just press any button on the remote. Now that you know how to turn off your Apple TV, put your device to Sleep mode either manually or automatically. If you have any difficulties, let us know in the comments section.
Related: How to Turn on Apple TV Without Remote.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I turn off Apple TV on my iPhone?
You can use the Apple TV Remote icon on your iPhone to power off your Apple TV.
2. How do you turn off Apple TV with the remote?
By using the remote, there are three ways to turn off your Apple TV.