We all think that pressing the power button on the Firestick turns it off. Actually, it doesn’t. Firestick remote actually syncs with the IR signals of your TV. Yes, if you are decreasing the volume, you are actually decreasing the volume of your TV. Here we understood that the Firestick remote has nothing to do with it but with the TV. Likewise, pressing the power button will switch off the TV, not your Firestick. Here is the step by step guide on How to Turn Off Amazon Firestick.
Turn Off Amazon Firestick
There is no proper way other than unplugging it from the power source. When you switch off your TV, the Firestick will go to sleep after 20 minutes being dormant/inactive. But then when you actually want to turn it off manually using the following methods. You can turn off your Fire TV Stick in any one of the following three ways.
3 Ways to Turn Off Firestick
The three ways to turn off Fire TV Stick, which are,
- Using Remote
- Using the smartphone app
- From the Power source.
Turn Off Firestick: Using Remote
From Home Menu
- Hold the Home button on your Firestick for about 3-5 seconds or until you see a pop-up menu on your screen.
- Now you can find the Sleep option. Choose and click it.
And now your device is getting rest. Turn it on by pressing any button on your remote.
- On the Home screen of your Firestick, select the Settings option.
- Highlight and click My Device or My Firestick.
- Now scroll down by using remote and select Sleep.
Turn off Firestick: Using Smartphone App
This is mainly useful when you actually cannot find your remote, and it is quite similar to the above-mentioned steps.
- Open Amazon Fire TV app. You can install the app from the Play Store or App Store.
- Connect it with the Firestick you would like to control.
- Now choose a remote from the bottom of the screen.
- There choose the Settings icon.
- After that, choose Sleep.
Turn off Firestick: From the Power Source
If you really want to turn off the Fire TV Stick, then this will be your obvious choice. When your Firestick is in Sleep mode, it will still be running in the background and can download automatic updates. So you can do one of the three to shut it down.
- You may now turn your Power switch off.
- Or you can unplug the Power cable from the socket.
- Or else you can unplug the power cable by pulling it out from the device.
Amazon doesn’t provide any function to turn off your Firestick. And to turn it on from the Sleep mode, you just have to press any button on the remote or mobile application. You can confirm the Sleep mode when the TV screen goes black. But when Firestick is turned off, the LED on the Firestick will also go off. Do let us know in the comment section which method you would prefer.
Related: How to Turn off Roku Streaming Devices.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you turn off Firestick without a remote?
For that, you can use the Fire TV app on your smartphone.
How do I turn off sleep mode on my Fire TV Stick?
To wake the device from the Sleep mode, you have to press any button on the Fire TV remote.