Plex application serves two purposes, Media Player app and Media Server app. In the Plex Media Player app, you can watch your offline video content on any device. In the Plex Media Server app, you can upload and maintain your favorite movies and TV shows. The Plex on NVIDIA SHIELD TV is a pre-installed one. Both the Media Player and Server app are integrated into one and comes with all the NVIDIA SHIELD TVs.
Plex on NVIDIA SHIELD TV
If you want to access the Plex application, all you need is to open the Plex app and log in with your Plex account. You can choose either Media Player or Server as you prefer. To get the advanced server settings, you need to access the Plex website. In the Plex app, you can stream 4K UHD videos without any loss in quality. As the NVIDIA SHIELD TV is meant for gaming purposes, it can handle videos of any size and any quality.
Plex Pass is a subscription service offered by Plex. In the subscription, you will get access to additional features like cloud syncing, offline download on Media devices, music libraries, Parental controls, and more. It has three subscription plans. $4.99 per month, $39.99 per year, and $119.99 for a lifetime with a free trial for 30 days.
How to Use Plex on NVIDIA SHIELD TV?
(1) On your NVIDIA SHIELD TV, go to the Settings option.
(2) Choose the Device settings.
(3) Navigate to the Storage & reset option under the Device settings.
(4) Now, select the Access SHIELD folders on PC to turn it on.
(5) You will get a username and password. Use these account credentials to access your offline files.
(6) Then, copy the contents from your PC and paste them on your NVIDIA SHIELD TV.
Note: Other than USB, you can also use the Network Storage Device [NAS]. Choose Network Storage instead of Access SHIELD folders on PC in the Storage & reset screen.
Use the Plex app on your NVIDIA SHIELD TV and create your own library of files. Access your favorite content on any device at any place. If you need any help accessing the Plex Media Server, tell us in the comments section. We will guide you.
Related: How to Install Youtube TV on Nvidia Shield TV?
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can Nvidia Shield run Plex?
Yes, all the NVIDIA SHIELD TVs can run both the Plex Media Player app and the Server app.
2. How do I update my Plex server on Nvidia Shield?
Go to Storage & reset option and access your server files. You can also use the Plex Server website to update your media files.
3. How many Plex streams can Nvidia Shield handle?
NVIDIA SHIELD TV can handle 3 simultaneous streaming.