Freeview is one of the fewest streaming apps available for free and is based in the UK. In the app, you will find all the popular video titles from BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, My5, and UKTV Play. With the Freeview app on Firestick, you can get to watch more than 70 live TV channels, 20,000 on-demand content, and radio stations. You can install and use the app for free without any subscription. The library of the Amazon Freeview gets updated with new and exclusive releases every month.
Freeview was launched on 30th October 2002. After 18 years, on 12th October 2020, the app was released in the Amazon App Store for Fire TV devices. Later this year, the Freeview app will be pre-installed on new Fire TV models. But, there is a catch to it. The Freeview app is available only for the selected Fire TV editions. If the app is not available, you have to sideload the app.
How to Install Freeview on Firestick
Freeview is available on the Amazon App Store, and you shall get it installed with the steps given below.
Quick Guide: On Fire TV home, select the Find tab >> Search tile >> type Freeview >> select the app >> Install >> Open.
(1) Turn on your Fire TV and go to the Find tab and click on the Search tile.
(2) Type Freeview on the on-screen keyboard and search.
(3) Select the Freeview app from the Apps & Games list.
(4) On the next screen, select the Install button.
(5) Then, tap the Open button to launch the Freeview app.
How to Sideload Freeview on Firestick
If the Freeview app is not available on the Amazon App Store, you have to sideload the app on Firestick.
Install Downloader on Firestick
(1) Select the Find menu to select the Search tile and search for the app, Downloader.
(2) Select the Downloader app on the list of apps displayed.
(3) Tap on the Get button to start downloading the app on your Fire TV.
Install Freeview on Firestick using Downloader
Before you proceed to sideload the Freeview app, you shall turn on the Apps from Unknown Sources features.
(1) Go to Fire TV Settings –> My Fire TV –> Developer Options –> Install Unknown Apps –> Downloader –> Turn On.
(2) Open the Downloader app, go to the Search bar, and type the Freeview apk app’s download link.
(3) The apk file will be downloaded. Then, select the Install button to install the apk file.
(4) Then, tap on the Open button and watch your favorite videos on the Freeview app for Firestick.
How to Download Freeview on Firestick using ES File Explorer
Besides Downloader, ES File Explorer supports sideloading Freeview as an apk file. The steps given below will work with the installation of ES File Explorer on Firestick.
(1) Enable Unknown Apps from ES File Explorer (Fire TV Settings >> Fire TV >> Developer Options >> Install Unknown Apps >> ES File Explorer).
(2) Go to the My Apps section of the Firestick to launch the ES File Explorer app.
(3) From the left pane, select the Tools option and click on the + icon at the bottom of the screen.
(4) On the Path field, type the Freeview apk URL and provide a name on the Name field. Press Download Now.
(5) When the download completes, you should click on the Open File option in the dialog box.
(6) Select Install and click on the Done button.
(7) With that, Freeview will open up, and you shall login with your account to stream its titles.
You can install the Freeview app on your Firestick and watch all the 20,000 on-demand video titles in your home. If you can’t find the app on the Amazon App Store, sideload the app with the Downloader app. If you want a better alternative, you can install and activate Pluto TV on Firestick.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can. But the app is available only on selected Fire TV editions.
When the app isn’t working, you should check your internet connection. It is recommended to disconnect the devices using the same WIFI. Also, you shall update the app on Firestick and install the latest firmware of Firestick.
Yes, Freeview is completely free, and you don’t have to pay for any subscription.
Since Freeview is a UK-based service, it may be geo-restricted out of its territory. So, using the VPN on Firestick is the solution to stream it outside the UK.