Hulu is an American-based streaming platform. Unlike Netflix, Hulu offers both movies & TV shows pack and live & on-demand content. Due to this versatility, Hulu has attracted a lot of subscribers in the USA. The app is available for smart devices like Andriod, iOS, and streaming devices. You can install the Hulu app on Apple TV easily as the app is officially available on the App Store.
Apple TV has five different types of streaming devices. Apple TV 1st Gen, Apple TV 2nd Gen, Apple TV 3rd Gen, Apple TV 4K, and Apple TV HD. The App Store is available only on the Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD. On the other three generations, you can’t download apps manually. The apps available are limited to pre-installed apps. Luckily, the app comes pre-installed on Apple TV 3rd and earlier generations.
In Hulu, you can have four different subscriptions.
- Hulu- $5.99 per month,
- Hulu (No Ads) – $11.99 per month,
- Live TV + Hulu – $54.99 per month,
- Live TV + Hulu (No Ads ) – $60.99 per month.
How to Install Hulu on Apple TV: [Newer Models]
(1) Turn on your Apple TV and click on the App Store.
(2) On top of the screen, you will get options like Featured, Top Charts, and so on. Go to the Search option.
(3) The on-screen keyboard will appear. Type Hulu and search for it.
(4) Select the Hulu app from the results.
(5) Navigate to the Get icon to install the Hulu app.
(6) For verification, it will ask your Apple ID password. Enter the password, and the app will be installed on your Apple TV.
(7) Now, open the Hulu app and sign with your subscribed account. The contents relevant to your subscription will appear.
How to Stream Hulu on Apple TV: [Older Models]
As said earlier, you can’t install apps manually on Apple TV 3rd and earlier generations. The pre-installed Hulu app on these earlier Apple TVs will have certain limitations. When you open the Hulu app and sign in with your account, you will get access to only the Hulu contents. Even though your subscription is Hulu + Live TV, you can’t access the Live TV contents on Apple TV 3rd Gen and earlier devices. If you want to access Live TV contents on these devices, you can use the Screen Mirroring feature to cast the Live TV contents from your iOS device. At first, install the Hulu app from the App Store.
(1) Connect your iOS device and Apple TV to the same network.
(2) Open the Control Centre on your smartphone.
(3) Tap on the Screen Mirroring option.
(4) It will search for nearby Apple TV devices. When your device is detected, tap on it.
(5) Now, your entire iOS screen will be mirrored to your Apple TV.
(6) Then, open the Hulu app on your iOS device and sign in with your Hulu + Live TV account.
(7) Play any Live TV content. It will appear on your Apple TV.
Hulu on Apple TV: Not Working
If the installed Hulu app is not working on your Apple TV, follow the below-mentioned solutions.
- Check whether both the Hulu app and Apple TV OS are in the latest version.
- Restart your Apple TV and try again.
- Make sure that your router is working. If not, restart the router.
- Delete the Hulu app and install the app again.
- In 4th Gen Apple TV, it is reported that the Hulu app is having some technical issues. It will be over soon. Until then, use the screen mirroring method.
Install the Hulu app on your Apple TV and get to watch all the movies, TV shows, live & on-demand content. Screen mirror the Hulu app from your iOS device to access the Live TV contents on your Apple TV 3rd gen and earlier devices. If you want to know any other things about the Hulu app, tell us in the comments section.
Related: How to Stream Hulu on Roku.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I add Hulu to my Apple TV?
If you are having Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD, you can install the app from the App Store. If you are having an Apple TV 3rd gen or earlier versions, you can use the pre-installed Hulu app or use the Screen Mirroring feature.
2. Do you get Hulu for free with Apple TV?
You can avail the free trial offered by Hulu. You can use the Hulu app for free for one month.